Englische Stimmen

Alles über die beiden Haudegen! Das Forum der Spencer/Hill-Datenbank.
Johan Melle
Re: Englische Stimmen

Beitrag von Johan Melle »

CharlieFirpo hat geschrieben: Di 31. Okt 2023, 10:39 Thanks a lot for the many additions! I have added them to the database, including the correction of Harold Bergman. Your articles for the "Dubbed in Rome" blog are very impressive and informative! I have linked them to the relevant actors.
Thank you! I've been doing a lot of "detective work" lately and managed to identify some new voices, and I'm hopeful that I'll soon have some more additions to report here too.
Johan Melle

English dubbing voices for THE SHORTEST DAY / IL GIORNO PIÙ CORTO:

Virna Lisi - Jodean Russo
Nino Taranto - Robert Spafford
Franco Giacobini - Stephen Garrett
Walter Chiari - Tony Russel
Jacques Sernas - Rodd Dana
Teddy Reno - Rodd Dana
Totò - Michael Tor
Yvonne Sanson - Carolyn De Fonseca

Stephen Garrett is a recently identified voice for me. I can report that he is also featured in SPY HUNT IN VIENNA (1965) as the English voice of Gustav Knuth.
Johan Melle

Johan Melle hat geschrieben: Sa 9. Dez 2023, 14:55 English dubbing voices for THE SHORTEST DAY / IL GIORNO PIÙ CORTO:

Virna Lisi - Jodean Russo
Nino Taranto - Robert Spafford
Franco Giacobini - Stephen Garrett
Walter Chiari - Tony Russel
Jacques Sernas - Rodd Dana
Teddy Reno - Rodd Dana
Totò - Michael Tor
Yvonne Sanson - Carolyn De Fonseca

Stephen Garrett is a recently identified voice for me. I can report that he is also featured in SPY HUNT IN VIENNA (1965) as the English voice of Gustav Knuth.
I should add that the dubbing actor Stephen Garrett is also in all probability the same as actor Stephen Garret (with just one T) that is listed as an actor in A Farewell to Arms (1957): https://spencerhilldb.de/darsteller.php?darsteller=1027
The actor in that picture is not the dubbing actor Stephen Garrett, though, so either it's a different man, or the picture is of the wrong actor...

And another new dubbing ID: Daliah Lavi's voice in SPY HUNT IN VIENNA is dubbed by an actress named Uti Hof. As you can probably tell from the name, she was German, but did a lot of dubbing in English since she spoke the language extremely well: https://dubbedinrome.blogspot.com/2024/01/uti-hof.html
CharlieFirpo
Administrator

Beitrag von CharlieFirpo »

Bild
Bild

The information about Stephen Garet(t) in A Farewell to Arms is from the pressbook of the movie. There the cast is listed with rolename and in order of appearance, So, if the pressbook is correct, and for me it seems to be correct, than the picture of Stephen Garret(t) in the database is also correct. So I'm not sure what I have to do with your information.

Thanks about the additional information about Uti Hof. I added her and your link to the database. Your Blog about the english dubbing voice actors in Rome is really great!
Johan Melle

CharlieFirpo hat geschrieben: So 21. Jan 2024, 10:34 The information about Stephen Garet(t) in A Farewell to Arms is from the pressbook of the movie. There the cast is listed with rolename and in order of appearance, So, if the pressbook is correct, and for me it seems to be correct, than the picture of Stephen Garret(t) in the database is also correct. So I'm not sure what I have to do with your information.

Thanks about the additional information about Uti Hof. I added her and your link to the database. Your Blog about the english dubbing voice actors in Rome is really great!
Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

Regarding A Farewell to Arms, it's not really clear to me if any of the people in that scene are meant to defender or accuser, but in any case I don't see the Stephen Garret(t) that I know anywhere in that scene, so I suppose it could be a case of a different actor with the same name then...

Btw, the ID of Gisella Mathews (another English dubber) is incorrect. She's not the blonde nurse pictured in the DB, but actually the redhaired nurse who appears later in the film. You can see Gisella at 2:18:40 (the timing of my rather poor-looking copy) when she's opening the door to the hospital room and says to Rock Hudson that he can come in for a moment. She's then seen again at 2:24:14 talking to Rock in the hospital corridor and in the hospital room when Jennifer Jones is dying.
CharlieFirpo
Administrator

Thanks for checking the scene with Stephen Garret(t) again. If the dubbing actor is not in this scene, than agree, that these are two different Garetts.

I changed the picture of Gisella Mathews, thanks for the hint. The picture of the wrong nurse can now be found in the gallery of the unknows actor. Maybe you like to have the complete screenshot of Gisella from the blu-ray disc. Here it is: Click
Johan Melle

CharlieFirpo hat geschrieben: So 21. Jan 2024, 13:33 I changed the picture of Gisella Mathews, thanks for the hint. The picture of the wrong nurse can now be found in the gallery of the unknows actor. Maybe you like to have the complete screenshot of Gisella from the blu-ray disc. Here it is: Click
Great! Thanks a lot!
CharlieFirpo
Administrator

On 4 May, English actor and dubbing artist Roger Worrod will be a guest at the Spencer/Hill-World in Berlin. He lived in Italy in the 1970s and dubbed many Italian films for the international market. For example, he dubbed the gangster boss played by John Sharp in "Watch out, we're mad". Roger Worrod has also recorded the English-language audio guide for Spencer/Hill World. This evening he will talk about his work as a dubbing artist in Italy. A Q&A session and the screening of the international version of "Watch out, we're mad" will round off the evening.
Johan Melle

CharlieFirpo hat geschrieben: Sa 2. Mär 2024, 11:44 On 4 May, English actor and dubbing artist Roger Worrod will be a guest at the Spencer/Hill-World in Berlin. He lived in Italy in the 1970s and dubbed many Italian films for the international market. For example, he dubbed the gangster boss played by John Sharp in "Watch out, we're mad". Roger Worrod has also recorded the English-language audio guide for Spencer/Hill World. This evening he will talk about his work as a dubbing artist in Italy. A Q&A session and the screening of the international version of "Watch out, we're mad" will round off the evening.
Interesting information. Is anyone here planning on attending this event...?

When I was in contact with Worrod some time ago, he gave more or less the same account referred to earlier in this topic: that he dubbed John Sharpe in WATCH OUT and that he also dubbed some of Bud Spencer's dialogue by imitating Richard McNamara's when McNamara was called away for some reason (actually, he remembers it as being Edward Mannix, but that's an understandable mistake to make after all these years). For what it's worth, I think Bud's voice in HIPPOPOTAMUS sounds very much like Worrod's but he himself denies having dubbed Bud in this film.

I also have a few English dubbing credits for THE SWORD AND THE CROSS:

- Jorge Mistral: Frank Latimore
- Massimo Serato: Michael Tor
- Philippe Hersent: Richard McNamara

Furthermore, Aldo Pini is dubbed by Geoffrey Copleston. Pini is currently not identified in the DB, but he is number 1 in the unknowns gallery (listed as 'Römischer Soldat' but in the English version at least he is referred to by the name Claudius Africus).

And speaking of Philippe Hersent, I have finally discovered that his wife, Geneviève Hersent, was the English voice of Mylène Demongeot in BIG MAN - A POLICY FOR HELL (in the other five BIG MAN movies, Mylène is dubbed by Carolyn de Fonseca). Geneviève did a lot of dubbing in both English, French and Italian and I've written a detailed bio for her on my dubbing blog, where I've also posted an interview I did with her: https://dubbedinrome.blogspot.com/2024/ ... rsent.html
Note that the IMDb seems to think that Geneviève is the same person as Celina Cely, but they are in fact two completely different people!

Also on the subject of BIG MAN, Mario Erpichini's English voice in BOOMERANG is dubbed by Leslie La Penna.
Chickadee

Beitrag von Chickadee »

Johan Melle hat geschrieben: Fr 22. Mär 2024, 17:07
CharlieFirpo hat geschrieben: Sa 2. Mär 2024, 11:44 On 4 May, English actor and dubbing artist Roger Worrod will be a guest at the Spencer/Hill-World in Berlin. He lived in Italy in the 1970s and dubbed many Italian films for the international market. For example, he dubbed the gangster boss played by John Sharp in "Watch out, we're mad". Roger Worrod has also recorded the English-language audio guide for Spencer/Hill World. This evening he will talk about his work as a dubbing artist in Italy. A Q&A session and the screening of the international version of "Watch out, we're mad" will round off the evening.
Interesting information. Is anyone here planning on attending this event...?
Yes, Eric and I will be there in Berlin. We have invited Roger to Berlin for a weekend as a thank you for the audio guide on behalf of the museum. He kindly agreed to tell us a bit about the time in Rome. We are already very excited about the event. If you have any specific questions for Roger, we can certainly ask him.
Antworten